Welcome To Our Blog

The goal of this blog is to increase communication between school and home. This will be a great place for parents to learn more about what is happening in our classroom as well as a place for the students to share their thoughts and ideas by posting responses to the blog topics. Parents, I also encourage you to become involved in the discussions here at school by posting to our blog when topics allow.

Class Blogging Rules

1. Only your first name when posting to the blog.

2. Do NOT share personal information about yourself, especially your personal email address, home address, or phone number.

3. Think about who might be reading your blog entry, and make sure that you are polite and respectful of others' ideas.

4. Make sure your blog entry stays on topic.

Saturday, December 5, 2009

In the Year of the Boar and Jackie Robinson

This novel is about a young girl named Shirley Temple Wong who must leave China after World War II to begin a new life with her mother and father in the United States. Shirley struggles to adjust to an American way of life while trying to also stay connected to her Chinese culture.  She doesn't speak English very well, so she finds it hard to make any friends at her new school. 

Have you ever been in a class when a new student arrived? Talk about how that new student was treated by you and the other kids.  Maybe you have been a new student in a class and you understand how Shirley felt when she arrived at P.S. 8.  If you have ever had to be the new student to a class, tell about how you were treated by the other kids.  

8 comments:

  1. I remember when I was a new student in kindergarden.It felt like everbody was staring at me but they wern't.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was a new kid once in 2nd grade when I moved here from Texas. I was treated nicely by the other kids but I was still a little scared the first week but by the end of the year I was friends with everybody.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, I have not been the new kid. I have had anew kid in my class she was relly nice. Thow alot of people people were sared to sit with her i did. Now were good friends. love Sophie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the book we are reading but I have never been the new student in a class.There was a new student in my class before.Some kids played with him like the boys but not the girls. JACK

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ella, you really do know what it is like to be the "new kid." I bet that you can really imagine how Shirley felt on her first days of school. I am glad to hear that like Shirley, you also had a lot of new friends by the end of the year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I liked the book!!! I have not been a new student in a class. One time I had a new student in my class. They were treated really nice and welcomed. Now we are great buds!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember when I was the new kid in third grade and I didn't have any friends but in the first two weeks I made some

    ReplyDelete
  8. Everyone was doing the moon walk when Jocko yelled "conga line" and then he lead us into the space ship where he traped us in a high tech cage that had lazers for bars.They set the coordinates so we landed on mars and then we heard the countdown 10, 9, 8, 7 , 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, and zero then we blsted off into outer space.

    ReplyDelete